The Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR) is the third Public University in Malawi established through an Act of Parliament Number 22 of 2011 after delinking Bunda College of Agriculture from the University of Malawi and integrating Natural Resources College which was established under a Trust.
LUANAR commenced its operations on 01st July, 2012 with a Vision “To be a World Class University”. Pursuant to this vision the University is implementing a five-year strategic plan which, through Pillar Number Five, recognizes the role that good governance plays in the realization of its goals through enhancement of the management and governance of the University and all its Campuses.
Reporting to the Deputy Vice Chancellor on academic matters and the University Registrar on Administrative matters, the Campus Director shall be engaged on a three-year contract and shall work to provide overall campus leadership, direction, and strategic management in order to ensure that the Campus maintains the mission and vision of LUANAR. It entails coordination and development of periodical plans and ensuring their economic and effective implementation through annual work programmes as well as ensuring availability of efficient financial and administrative support services to the core operations for financial sustainability of the Campus.
1. Developing and implementing strategic plans, annual work programmes, budgets, business/marketing and investment plans as well as maintaining efficient and effective financial management systems and ensuring their overall economic and effective implementation
2. Providing overall Campus leadership and support on all academic, administrative and financial management by ensuring adherence to the academic calendar and deadlines for submission of all reports required by University Management.
3. Coordinating and providing continuous institutional and on the job staff training and development in liaison with the University Registrar to ensure continued effective performance of staff in line with the University policy
4. Upholding high standards of academic teaching and learning at the campus
5. Chairing Heads and Deans meetings and other statutory committees as designated by University Management.
6. Ensuring that Curricula are adhered to and reviewed periodically
7. Monitoring the development and implementation of Academic Regulations
8. Managing the process of Students appeals
9. Managing the implementation of Tracer Studies
10. Managing the implementation of Performance Management System for all staff and ensuring that their performance is appropriately monitored and evaluated.
11. Facilitating and coordinating the implementation of remedial strategies to improve teaching and learning for all students.
The candidate for the post of Campus Director must be a distinguished scholar with outstanding academic and administrative records. Specifically,
i. The person must be proven leader with academic and managerial standing at senior university management level and should possess a Doctorate Degree earned from a reputable University in their discipline and should be at least a Senior Lecturer.
ii. Possess a clear vision for the further development of the University and the realization of its vision, mission and strategic goals;
iii. Exhibit entrepreneurial drive and ability to attract extra-statutory funds and mobilise other resources for the development of the University;
iv. Develop and advance a culture of business incubation for nurturing new enterprises for socio-economic development.
v. Demonstrate ability to attract, motivate and retain highly skilled and talented staff in all categories, teaching and non-teaching;
vi. Demonstrate interpersonal and team building skills and possess the ability to build bridges between staff, students, other members of the university community and the university’s stakeholders.
vii. Possess proven skills of Information, Communication and Technology (ICT).
TENURE OF THE POST
The successful candidate shall hold office for a period of three years and shall be eligible for re-appointment for one further term of office based on satisfactory performance. The candidate shall be offered an attractive salary and benefits commensurate with seniority of the position and qualifications.
Applicants must meet the following requirements in addition to the above:
• Must have a PhD obtained from a highly recognized higher education institution
• Must be well experienced academicians with at least three years of experience working as Head of department or Dean of faculty at a reputable academic institution.
• Must have served at the level of at least a Senior Lecturer
• Must have a credible track record in attracting funding for teaching, learning and research related activities.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications can be sent by either email or post using the addresses below and should be received by Friday 17th March, 2017:
Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources
P O Box 219