Lilongwe university of Agriculture and Natural Resources is a university based in Malawi with the vision: "to be a world class University"
Its mission is to advance knowledge and produce relevant graduates with entrepreneurship skills for agricultural growth, food security, wealth creation and sustainable natural resources management, through teaching, training, research, outreach consultancy and sound management.
- To provide quality education and training in agricultural and natural resources sciences, engineering and irrigation technologies, agro-processing, entrepreneurship, trade, climate change adaptation, sustainable utilization of natural resources and environmental preservation for socio-economic development.
- To encourage the advancement, dissemination and commercialization of research.
- To promote industrial growth through research and dissemination of knowledge and skills.
- To establish and support science and technology innovation Centre of excellence for industrial production and manufacturing of value added agricultural and natural resource products.
- To develop partnerships with relevant industries for the generation, transfer, adoption and application of technologies.
- To develop into an institution of excellence in teaching, learning, training Information Communication Technology (ICT), e-learning and research in science, technology and biotechnology.
- To promote practical university education, research and training so as to respond to the needs of Malawi, Africa and the World.
- To demonstrate and promote entrepreneurship among its students.
- To provide specialist training in such subjects as may be found desirable by the University Council and the nation.
- To provide opportunities and facilities for accessing information in support of the programs of the Universit
History of LUANAR
In a landmark address to parliament on 24th May 2010, the third State President of Malawi, His Excellency Professor Bingu wa Mutharika shared his vision of establishing six universities within a period of ten years. This was meant to address the problems of limited University access and increase the pool of well-trained human resource in the country that will accelerate socio-economic development of Malawi. One of the new universities to be established was Lilongwe University of Agriculture and Natural Resources (LUANAR). The President directed that LUANAR be created by transforming Bunda College of Agriculture and Natural Resources College (NRC) into a University in its own right. LUANAR was, therefore, created through an Act of Parliament No. 22 of 2011. LUANAR started her operations on 1st July 2012.